Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula to pull the value from a column based on the value of another column

rybog98
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have a data set with over 100 columns. In the data set I have a column called "COLUMN_NAME" that contains the name of one of the other columns. What I need to do is pull the value from the column that is specified in "COLUMN_NAME". Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Here is an example of what I am trying to do:

COLUMN_NAMEVAR_1VAR_2VAR_3Target Output
VAR_1108610
VAR_31233
VAR_2579

16 REPLIES 16
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rybog98 

Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1627490192364.png

1. Use tranpose to convert columns to row.

2. Filter row where column name = name (actual column name)

3. Using find and replace vlookup on record id to join the value back to main data. You can use join tool instead too.

Hope this helps : )

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @rybog98,

I have prepared a solution for you:

Emil_Kos_0-1627490419735.png

The output:

Emil_Kos_1-1627490435901.png

rybog98
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the quick response @atcodedog05 and @Emil_Kos. I have a few concerns with these solutions:

1. My data set can be very big (Millions of records) and I have found transpose and cross tab can be very time consuming

2. I actually need to return 2 columns. One is "COLUMN_NAME"_IN and "COLUMN_NAME". I couldn't figure out how that would work with the transpose method without using a lot of tools and joins

COLUMN_NAMEVAR_1_INVAR_2_INVAR_1VAR_2VALUE_INVALUE_OUT
VAR_110864106
VAR_2123424
VAR_2579

rybog98
6 - Meteoroid

This is what I have came up with but still think there should be an easier way:

rybog98_0-1627492026740.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rybog98 

Here is how you can do it.

atcodedog05_0-1627492144692.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rybog98 

My approach is similar around yours. I think most of the possible approaches will be around same lines.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @rybog98,

Katie Howard from Alteryx shared with me a tip on how you can handle it. 

You can refer to this post. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamic-Formula-based-on-the-cell-defi...

In crew macro, there is a dynamic formula. I just opened it and it doesn't have any transpose inside so it might be faster on a big data set.

You’ll need to download and install the CREW Macros first (this requires the dynamic formula tool to work).  I’ve attached the macro to the package above, but I’d recommend installing it first. Be sure to unzip the contents before you run the installation file.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Emil_Kos ,

As per my experience with the Crew dynamic formula, it can only be applied on a column level not at a cell level. Its similar to dynamic replace tool.

Again I might be wrong can you provide an example with a cell level formula applied using Crew dynamic formula tool. I am interested to learn more on the scenario 🙂

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @atcodedog05,

The truth is I never used it and I am not able to focus on it now but thank you for letting me know 😀

@rybog98 If I will find something else that might be helpful for your I will let you know. 

Labels