Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula to get expected output

PNC97
8 - Asteroid

I'm using a formula to calculate OT by the below logic 

if [OT] > 0 and [duplicat] = "ok" then

(if [Punch in- OT] <= [tNight.Start] and [Punch-Out] <= [tNight.Start] then 0 else

(if [Punch in- OT] <= [tNight.Start] and [Punch-Out] > [tNight.Start] then

(if [Punch-Out] >=24 then 24 else [Punch-Out]) - [tNight.Start] endif

else

(if [Punch in- OT] >= [tNight.Start] and [Punch in- OT] < 24 and [Punch-Out] >= 24 then 24 - [Punch in- OT] else

(if [Punch in- OT] >= [tNight.Start] and [Punch-Out] <24 then [Punch-Out] - [Punch in- OT] else 0
endif)
endif)
endif)
endif)

else 0 endif

I'm getting the output as 24 but expected output is 2 

I have attached the data of input and expected output.

Thanks in advance 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @PNC97,

First, I'm not sure how you were getting results as your formula syntax was incorrect.  I corrected it to below (bold added for emphasis for discussion below):

If [OT]<=0 THEN 0 ELSEIF
[duplicat] != "ok" THEN 0 ELSEIF
[Punch in- OT] <= [tNight.Start] AND [Punch-Out] <= [tNight.Start] THEN 0 ELSEIF
[Punch in- OT] <= [tNight.Start] AND [Punch-Out] > [tNight.Start] AND [Punch-Out1] >=24 THEN 24 ELSEIF
[Punch in- OT] <= [tNight.Start] AND [Punch-Out] > [tNight.Start] AND [Punch-Out1] <24 THEN [Punch-Out1] - [tNight.Start] ELSEIF
[Punch in- OT] >= [tNight.Start] AND [Punch in- OT] < 24 and [Punch-Out1] >= 24 then 24 - [Punch in- OT] ELSEIF
[Punch in- OT] >= [tNight.Start] and [Punch-Out] <24 then [Punch-Out1] - [Punch in- OT] ELSE 0
ENDIF

All the records in the sample provided fall out under the bolded section above, which provides a result of 24.  Hopefully this makes it easier for you to correct the formula, but if not, please provide further clarification on how the formula should be calculating.  IF/THEN/ELSEIF formulas in Alteryx will always follow the format of IF... THEN... ELSEIF... THEN... (Repeat ELSEIF/THEN as needed) ELSE... ENDIF

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @PNC97 

To piggyback off of what @T_Willins's response, here is your formula written out in Excel. It is operating exactly as expected with the results coming back as "24". Your operation of logic is off. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1624308926471.png

PNC97
8 - Asteroid

@T_Willins  

I had used the formula like this 

(if [Punch in- OT] <= [tNight.Start] and [Punch-Out] <= [tNight.Start] then 0 else

if [Punch-Out] >=24 then 24 else [Punch-Out] - [tNight.Start] endif

else

(if [Punch in- OT] >= [tNight.Start] and [Punch in- OT] < 24 and [Punch-Out] >= 24 then 24 - [Punch in- OT] else

(if [Punch in- OT] >= [tNight.Start] and [Punch-Out] <24 then [Punch-Out] - [Punch in- OT] else 0
endif)
endif)
endif)
endif)

else 0 endif

but using this formula I'm getting 24 as output but the expected output of PQ is 2 as output.

PNC97
8 - Asteroid

I applied the formula in power query 

(if [#"Punch in- OT"] <= [tNight.Start] and [#"Punch-Out"] <= [tNight.Start] then 0 else

(if [#"Punch in- OT"] <= [tNight.Start] and [#"Punch-Out"] > [tNight.Start] then (if [#"Punch-Out"] >=24 then 24 else[#"Punch-Out"])-[tNight.Start] else

(if [#"Punch in- OT"] >= [tNight.Start] and [#"Punch in- OT"] < 24 and [#"Punch-Out"] >= 24 then 24-[#"Punch in- OT"] else

(if [#"Punch in- OT"] >= [tNight.Start] and [#"Punch-Out"] <24 then [#"Punch-Out"]-[#"Punch in- OT"] else 0))))

else 0

and the output i got is below 

PC2296_0-1624309370109.png

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @PNC97 

If you'd like us to help with the formula, please explain the IF/THEN order of logic we need to follow. It is unclear from the formulas you provided, since they were not written the way a typical Alteryx formula would be structured. 

PNC97
8 - Asteroid

Got solution with the below formula.

(if [Punch-Out] >=24 then 24 else [Punch-Out] endif) - [tNight.Start]

else

endif)
endif)
endif)
endif)

else 0 endif

Thanks all 🙂

Labels