Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula for filtering a date range

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

I have a simple formula for filtering data to pick up only a specific date range. However when testing it I discovered I am only getting the day before the last date in the range. 

Here is the formula:

[endingDateTime] >= '2019-12-01'
AND
[endingDateTime] <= '2019-12-31'

I'm getting results from 12/1 to only 12/30 with the 12/31 results being left out (and yes, there is data for the 12/31 date)

I have a feeling that I am missing something very simple and obvious...

11 REPLIES 11
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @johneodell 

This is in the "Custom Filter" section of a Filter tool? All looks correct, but can you share the workflow or a sample of the data with that date field?

Alternatively you could try just a < '2020-01-01' as your filter and see if that gets you the expected results.

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

@NickSm 

Yes, it's in the "Custom Filters" section of the Filter tool. It's also one of the first tools after a SQL query to fetch the data from the db. There is no manipulation of the date fields prior to this filter.

I have included an example of the dates.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@johneodell Seems to work for me. Attached is the workflow.

DiganP_0-1578599326880.png

Make sure that the endingDateTime is a Date format:

DiganP_1-1578599344517.png

Digan
Alteryx
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@johneodell Just ran the workflow with your dataset, it seems to work fine? Can you attach a screenshot and your tool configuration. 

DiganP_0-1578599433447.png

Digan
Alteryx
johneodell
8 - Asteroid

@DiganP  Here you go

johneodell_0-1578601597783.png

Nothing unusual. The Find and Replace tools are appending data that has nothing to do with dates. Furthermore, I can see ALL the dates in my "prefilter" output file. The "postfilter" output shows the the filter results with all the of the 12/31 dates missing. I know I'm doing something dumb that I need a second set of eyes to notice.

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

@DiganP @NickSm 

I'm not sure what happened but I worked on other things, came back to my workflow, ran it again, and it seemed to work. I don't know why or how, but I'm just going to accept it. Thanks for the input!

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

Hi - I am trying to get a filter done based on June-2020 format.  I need to be able to pull back everything that's between November 2020 and March 2021 inclusive.  I have tried the formula below with no luck.  Any ideas?

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, this formula:

[Plan Approval Month and Year] > 'November-2020'
AND
[Plan Approval Month and Year] < 'April-2021'

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @JTB76 ,

Here is a workflow that filters your data.

To do what you need you have to use date format values. To do so you can use the DateTimeParse function to transform your field as a date one then you can compare it to date values.

Labels