Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula confusion

kavyagp
6 - Meteoroid

wh.PNG

I see a formula WarehouseLocation = "All Locations", but I see no fields called WarehouseLocation  in the downstream workflow and neither do I see any field being renamed as WarehouseLocation. Can someone enlighten me please? 

11 REPLIES 11
danrh
13 - Pulsar

It's hard to say exactly what is going on without seeing the whole workflow, but some possibilities include:

- A Select tool is de-selecting or re-naming the field.

- A Join/Append/Transpose/Cross Tab is de-selecting or re-naming the field.

- A Summarize tool isn't grouping by "WharehouseLocation" so the field gets dropped out at that point.

If you can post a bigger screenshot, it might be possible to take a more educated guess.

kavyagp
6 - Meteoroid

wh2.PNG

This is the complete flow.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

If that's it, then it's in the last Select tool. Click on it, look in the configuration window on the left side and see if WharehouseLocation has either been deselected or has been renamed. Feel free to post a screenshot of the configuration if it still isn't clear.

kavyagp
6 - Meteoroid

wh3.PNG

This is the one before it which is the join.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

It looks like the field didn't exist before the Formula tool. It must be a new field being created with the formula you gave above. What does the configuration for the Select tool after the Formula tool look like?

kavyagp
6 - Meteoroid

It has that field in the select option later. I'm wondering how did that field come here?

wh4.PNG

danrh
13 - Pulsar

It gets created in the Formula tool. In a Formula tool, you can use a calculation to either update an existing field or create a new field. To see some examples of how this works, click on the Formula tool in the toolbar and select "Open Example".

image.png

kavyagp
6 - Meteoroid

Oh great! 

Is there a way I can find out how it was created?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @kavyagp

Click on the formula tool and look at the configuration.  it should look something like this

Formula.png

The red arrow points to the name of the new column.  The green arrow points to the formula

If the the configuration window doesn't show the formula, like this

formula closed.png

Click the ">" to expand the formula window

For more info, follow @danrh's advice and open the help.  For information on the basics of using the UI, check out the "Getting Started" Interactive Lesson

Dan

Labels