Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Tool vs Join Performance

jasonlmay
5 - Atom

Lets say I have a TypeID column with values ranging from 0 - 5. I need to convert these TypeID's into a string value.  Is Alteryx more performant with an IF statement in a formula tool or is a text input with a Join more performant? 

Number of records is around 1.8mil  

I currently have a formula tool with an IF statement converting the TypeID's but  I could also have a text input and join.  Which would be the best performance or best practice?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
NicholasM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @jasonlmay ,

This is a great question! I believe the Alteryx Engine will be more performant with the Join tool! I just ran a quick test with 26mil rows and here are the results. The join tool responsible for 29% of the workflow time vs 35% with the formula tool performing the same action. 

Performance.PNG

jasonlmay
5 - Atom

Interesting.  Thanks for running this and showing an example.  I'll try the same to see if I end up with the same result.

Labels