Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Tool For Calculating Parameters

davechndr
9 - Comet

Good morning!

How are you all doing?

I am super new to Alteryx and am having difficulty with some basic functions. One of them is the Formula Tool (in the dark blue section) for creating formulas from tables entered directly on to the program via the "Text Input" Tool in the Green Section pallete.

If I want to create a formula where a new field is involved (and is being calculated), and this new field is outside the ones that are on the Text Input, how do I create this formula to make it work, so I can tabulate the right values in this new field?

E.g. If I have to calculate the $Sales of an apparel company, and there is no column for "$Sales" in the Text Input Table but I already have input the two columns for Unit Price and Quantity Sold do I have to put a column for $ Sales in the Text Input Table before I calculate it using the Formula Tool?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Best,

@davechndr

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@davechndr I would go the formula tool route in this case. The formula tool can both add new fields and updating existing fields. You may want to check out the examples by hovering on the formula tool in the tool palette at the top and then click open example:

Capture.PNG

For your particular example, I've attached a workflow where the $Sales is calculated in the formula tool.

davechndr
9 - Comet

Hi Patrick,

Thank you - that helps. Looking at the tool, I have a better understanding of what goes on when you see examples of the Formula icon in use.

I used to work for construction and manufacturing companies (very small ones) before joining PriceWaterHouse Coopers in Tampa.

Take care, my friend!

Best,

@davechndr

Labels