Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Formula Question Regarding Switching Number to new Column

kpontarollo
8 - Asteroid

I am looking for help on the following:

I need to write a formula that moves the number over to a different column then it is supposed to be in. What I have highlighted in yellow are the numbers that need to switch from the column "auto open" to the column "total open." The tricky part is the FIRST "1" in auto-open by a specific person (Kelsey) is fine, but anything after with the name Kelsey should be under the column "total open." Down below you see that the 1 under the first Kelsey is green, that 1 can stay there, the one in yellow below, should be in "total open column" and even further you see 1 in the total open column with the name Kelsey because those were done correctly.

In a nutshell, the first "auto open" for a specific person, but any second email that is opened by that person should be considered a "total open"

kpontarollo_2-1649341582790.png

7 REPLIES 7
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@kpontarollo  The beauty of Alteryx is that it allows us to do the something in multiple ways.

Please find attached one of the way using a batch macro.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh 

Pingu
10 - Fireball

Hi @kpontarollo ,

The tile tool is pretty handy for this use case.

Attached an example.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@kpontarollo Another way of doing this

binuacs_0-1649343766355.png

kpontarollo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone! All of these worked great so far.... However, another issue came up. This fixes the problem to changing any auto-open to a total open when there are more than one auto opens. For example: it fixed. Auto Open, Auto Open, Total Open to Auto Open, Total Open, Total Open. WHICH IS GREAT- THANK YOU.

What it does not fix is the following: 

Total Open, Auto Open, Total Open.... Gets switched to Total Open, Total Open, Total Open... it should stay the exact same... I only need auto opens to become total opens when there are multiple after the first auto open.

So as another example:

Total Open, Auto Open, Auto Open, Total Open.... I would need to become.... Total Open, Auto Open, Total Open, Total Open... Does that make sense?!

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@kpontarollo  Can you please post an example of the input and output just for better understanding

kpontarollo
8 - Asteroid

@JagdeeshN yes of course! The first picture underneath is the original that I have before using the formulas. The highlighted green represents the FIRST auto-open. Where is is yellow, is where it is incorrect. The formulas provided above were great in fixing the yellow..... see picture 2. However, "John" where he had a total open, then an auto open, then a regular open, it changed his auto-open to the wrong position (now yellow in the second picture). 

In a nutshell, it does not matter how many "total opens" for a specific person there are before the "auto open" but after the "auto open" there can be no other "auto opens"

kpontarollo_1-1649356315942.png

kpontarollo_2-1649356400402.png

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@kpontarollo  I think the attached solution puts the first occurrence into Auto Open and the rest into Total Open for each person. 

Hope this helps.

Labels