Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Programming Language

arno_bürgin
7 - Meteor

Hi

What programming language is used in formulas?

For example: "IF c THEN t ELSE f ENDIF". Is this XML, R or a language specific to Alteryx?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @arno_bürgin ,

If you mean custom function for use in expressions then you have two choices:

- XML Macro Function (which are just short hand for existing capabilities)

- C++ Functions

If just mean creating columns then the expressions are Alteryx own language similar to Excel or Tableau.

Cheers

PD: If I did answers your question please consider marking it as solved. It helps the community

arno_bürgin
7 - Meteor

So If i understand correctly "IF c THEN t ELSE f ENDIF" is either XML or C++?

Anyway, I don't know the difference between "use in expressions" and "creating columns". Does typing a function in the formula tool belong to the former or the latter?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Typing a function belongs to both.

The formula is C++ but given that usually you do add a new column to the table, the adding a new column is alteryx own language.

Cheers

PD: If I did answers your question please consider marking it as solved. It helps the community

arno_bürgin
7 - Meteor

I think I understand now.

The built-in functions are based on Alteryx' own language (this is what you called adding new columns). But I can implement my own custom formulas with C++ or XML Macros, if I need further functionality. Correct?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @arno_bürgin ,

As far as I know you can only use the formulas compatible with your alteryx version. In other words, you can't implement your own formulas like a python library or something similiar to expand the functionality.

Cheers

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

That's right in what has been said. Alteryx has a huge list of functions that are already written. 

You write the expression inside Alteryx using our own syntax.

You can add in your own formulas by creating a DLL and then adding it in. There is a great article here that hopefully helps too.

We then also have the python tool and R tool if you aren't comfortable with using C++, however these aren't part of the formula tool but tools in their own right.

Labels