Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Help

JingLi
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

Can I please get an explanation of what this formula means? It is supposed to be used before an interactive chart tool, but what does the "1" represent, and why does it ha

Thank you in advance!

JingLi_0-1666569933768.png

Jing

10 REPLIES 10
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @JingLi 

This formula is assigning 1 for each row of the column Key word count.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666570391618.png

Without the workflow to see the context it is hard to know exactly why, but i would guess that this field is being used to be summed inside the chart (showing the quantity of key words) or somewhere else.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JingLi 
This is strange to me.

The datatype is "V_WString", so the data shall be '1'. Or change the data type to Int/

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@Qiu 

i found it strange too, but i tested it here and it works fine. I was expecting a datatype error to happen.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666570780193.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Felipe_Ribeir0 
Thank you for sharing your test. 😁

Maybe we should cosider this as an improvement? though the old version will throw an error, which I think it is not bad either.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

The strange part is that i am using an older version right now (2020.3) 😅

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666571450328.png

JingLi
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the reply. I still don't understand why do I have to assign the number 1 to each row of the column key word count.

I attached the workflow. Can you let me know your thoughts?

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

The transaction input did not came.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666572586286.png

But it seems that this workflow is counting how many ocurrencies of key words you have in your transaction input - column comments and plotting this into a chart.

Felipe_Ribeir0_2-1666572932889.png

So, looking at this dummy example that i created, you have 3 key word occurrencies, right? So, if you sum the Key Word Count column, you will have 3 as result. You can think of it as a support column to count key word ocurrencies. Makes sense?

JingLi
7 - Meteor

@Felipe_Ribeir0 

Oh, I think I understand now. The 1 is necessary so it only count one keyword at time. 

Can you help with my chart too? 😅 I can't get the sorting to work in the chart. It won't sort the keyword count in a descending order. I attached the packaged workflow this time. 

Thank you!

JingLi
7 - Meteor

@Felipe_Ribeir0 

Here is my configuration for the chart. I don't know why the y axis is all over the place. 

JingLi_0-1666574058792.png

Labels