Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formatting number with commas and decimals

anwarrington
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am struggling to format numbers with decimals and commas. My source data, which is an excel file, has all numerical values rounded to 2 with a round formula. When I view the data from the input tool I see two decimal points (10.98). However, after being run through the join tool the formatting changes to (10.980000).

I have tried the tostring function. tostring([input_field),2,1) The out field created for this does not add the commas, or fix the trailing zeroes.

I also tried the regex_replace function. regex_replace([field],"\d{1,3}(?=(\d{3})+(?!\d))","$&,") This formatted fields with comma separators, but does not fix the trailing zeroes.

Has anyone run into this? Any advice or solutions are greatly appreciated!

Anna

15 REPLIES 15
JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

But this makes the numbers as strings right? Then can it still be calculated as numbers when exported to excel?

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

How could we do the reverse of this? From String to Number with the same formatting?

KLAMB
6 - Meteoroid

AL-t-E-ry-X - I can see with the Browse tool that my table(s) are formatting these correctly, with the 2 decimal places and automatically placing the commas.  But, then when I try to use the Summarize tool and output to an Excel file, the number fields again are unformatted when I open the Excel file.

alexm06
8 - Asteroid

Doing any further calcs to the numbers will cause them to revert back to being unformatted. I would try the summarize and then but the values into the table tool. 

You'd then need to use a render tool to output the formatted numbers into an excel doc.

avo
7 - Meteor

@anoopdk 

I was searching for this function  and this works for me as well. 

thank you so much. This is great !!!

Shagungupta95
5 - Atom

Could anyone please help with the comma separator correct formula to add in values, did try lot of trial and error methods but not helpful.

Labels