Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formatting Column Headers

amcghee6
5 - Atom

So my group is very big on formatting and the way things look. I was wondering if there was a work around in Alteryx to where the letters before the column titles could be either bold, colored red, or both? 

amcghee6_0-1580398830684.png

5 REPLIES 5
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I'm not aware you can colour / bold or format "part" of a column header, but would love to be proved wrong! If it's not available you could add an ideas to the forum at https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/idb-p/product-ideas

amcghee6
5 - Atom

I would love to proved wrong too! Thanks I will definitely do that. 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is possible, but it's messy and won't work with any characters/conditions.

What we need to do is start out by creating the original Table (which is created as a Layout field), then editing the raw PCXML text of that Layout field with a formula tool, and recomposing that raw PCXML as a Layout field (using a Text tool in Expert mode) before rendering the final output. 

When you look at the raw PCXML text, you'll see that it generally following HTML formatting conventions. To bold a section of text, we need to wrap the "<b>" and "</b>" markers around the text we want to bold. In this case, this is conveniently marked by parenthesis (which also don't appear elsewhere in the PCXML), so we can replace "(" with "<b>(" to bold the parenthesis and everything between them, or "(<b>" to exclude the parenthesis from the bold format. 

20200130-BoldOneWordOnly.png

Check out the attached workflow to see this in action and let me know if you have any questions. 

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Now that's seriously impressive @CharlieS!

KimLamNg
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS Wow this is superb!

Labels