Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Forecasting Many Groups of Data

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

Hey Alter Team!

I am playing around with some Time Series tools and I have some questions. Please redirect me if I am going in the wrong direction!

I am using some fantasy football numbers to test out the process.

I can get the forecasting how I expect per team, although I would like to forecast for every team! 

My thoughts:

I can either use a summarize tool to group by the team and input into a batch macro (with a text to rows tool inside) 

OR

I can uniquely tile by team and input into an iterative macro (which I have less experience with)

Any thoughts on which would be better? Or am I climbing up the wrong tree? (P.S. I do have Intelligence Suite)

7 REPLIES 7
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @DylanDowrick,

Id definitely try the macro approach. I would also consider TS factory tool the https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/ts-model-factory-tool in theory it allows you to generate many TS models at once which is your use case. 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've also heard people using the optimization tool for fantasy football if your aim is to just generate an optimal team?

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, @IraWatt. I like the idea of the TS Factory! Also, I like the idea of this Optimization tool, I need to dig more into it!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great no worries! best of luck :)

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

For anyone interested I created a macro that accomplishes this need (I could probably use some help making it a bit more seamless).

The workflow 'zips' each grouping of data into a single record, then the batch macro 'unzips' as it comes in to Time Series data for forecasting.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for workflows @DylanDowrick 😄

Just to follow up on the optimization tool, I found today there is actually a fantasy football example in Designer go to:

Help -> Predictive tool samples -> Prescriptive analytics -> Optimisation Fantasy Football

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

Hey thanks @IraWatt

I also wanted to provide a fully-fleshed macro that batches forecasts as I hoped for above! Works like the ETS/TS Forecast tools present.

Labels