Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Forcing a field type

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Is it possible to force a field type for a particular column in an excel input file? I have a use case where sometimes a column isn't filled in, and because of that, alteryx changes my field type for that column from a string to a double. This causes my flow to error out as I use that field (when filled out) to join with another string field, causing an error cause of the field mismatch. 

Or any other ideas on how I can prevent this from happening? Sometimes that column won't be filled out and sometimes it will. The fact that it changes prevents fixing the field type in the select tool. If I load data where it is filled out and then again where it's not filled out, the field type changes back to a double.

Thanks in advance!

Johnny

2 REPLIES 2
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @johnnykoung 

There is indeed!

If you have text data in the column, you can use a select tool and select 'string:forced'

TheOC_0-1647874610090.png

This will force the data incoming, to be a string.

Hope this helps,

TheOC

Bulien
johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

Perfect, thanks!

Labels