Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Folder Browse to Change Output Path

jcastles003
6 - Meteoroid

I have a workflow that outputs several different Excel files. Since most users will be using this as an app, but not in the gallery, I need a way to customize file/folder locations for output.

The File Browse tool works perfectly for output.  However, since I have multiple files being output in this app, I would like the ability to have the user select one folder output location, and all of the output tools would then output their corresponding files to that folder location, rather than having to specify each individual output file.

I have tried multiple different methods with the Folder Browse tool, but cannot get it to work correctly.  I have tried Update Value, Update Value (with Replace a Specific String selected for the folder path), and Update Value with Formula, and none of them seem to change the folder path from the default one pre-input in the workflow.  Does anyone have any insight as to how I can get this to work correctly?

12 REPLIES 12
Apratim
5 - Atom

Thanks a ton for such a detailed solution. Would never have figured that out on my own.

WSData_dup_359
7 - Meteor

Patrick,

First, thank you for sharing this information.  I realize this was a while back, but we are hitting this issue now.

I have a challenge in that a client wants us to port a complex workflow to the gallery and that workflow uses the Folder Browse all over the place.

To make this more challenging, we do not have access to Gallery, so testing is a bit tricky.

Can you confirm I a reading you suggestion properly?

We can leave the Folder Browse control in a workflow and it will run without error on Gallery if...

1. We create a workflow constant named "Question.[Exact Name of Folder Browse control]"

2. Hard code a valid network folder path in the value of that constant

That will run without error even though the Folder Browse is still in the workflow when published to Gallery?

The value set in the workflow constant will override the value that a user typically provides via UI?

Do I have that right?

samraatg
5 - Atom

Folder Browse option does not allow me to save the workflow to the web based gallery. Any suggestions?

Labels