Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Flag columns to capture Repeated Customers information

stevelogue1980
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am a new bee of Alteryx and need help on creating 2 flag columns (IS_Customer, Customer_TYPE),Alteryx Workflow attached

I have 2 Tables: Customer Interactions, Customer Details and Need a NEW TABLE with the below flags:

Ex:

Customer_ID

IS_Customer

Customer_TYPE

NULL

FALSE

NULL

TRUE

NEW

TRUE

NEW

TRUE

NEW

TRUE

EXISTING

IS_Customer: If there is an existing Customer based on Customer_ID

Customer_TYPE: to capture if there is Repeated Customer (based on Encounter_Date) with in the last 24 months of the Interaction (Visited/ bought previously)  based on Interaction Date.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stevelogue1980 

Welcome to the Community!

Have a look at the attached workflow to see if it does what you're looking for - let me know if you have any questions.

DavidP_0-1598483645639.png

stevelogue1980
8 - Asteroid

Thanks David for a head start.

However, Customer_TYPE is Expected as below based on Encounter_Date with in the last 24 months of the Interaction (Visited/ bought previously) based on Interaction Date.

Customer_ID

IS_Customer

Customer_TYPE

NULL

FALSE

NULL

TRUE

NEW

TRUE

NEW

TRUE

NEW

TRUE

EXISTING

your results are all says 'EXISTING'

stevelogue1980_0-1598499252551.png

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @stevelogue1980 , this is my output for the problem you shared.

There are multiple interactions for customer_id=11, can you please check the output you shared again.

grazitti_sapna_0-1598505154548.png

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stevelogue1980 

I've added more description around the logic I used so that you can identify where I'm misunderstanding and change the logic.

Minor thing - I changed a few of the dates in your original data from Feb 30th to Feb 28th.

So Customer 10 doesn't exist in Customer details and therefore Is_Customer is set to False and Customer_TYPE to null().

I ignored Customer NULL.

The highlighted formula tool below is the one we have to look at.

1. I notice some Interaction dates are in the future - should they be ignored?

2. I used "months" as the unit to calculate the difference. For customer 13 you can see there is one example where the difference is 24 months, but actually, it's 24 months and 2 days. We should therefore probably use days as units, i.e. diff <= 2*365 days

3. There is also a question whether it should be <= 24 months or < 24 months. Again, using days would be better.

4. As things stand, each of customers 11,12,13 and 14 have at least 1 interaction within 24 months of Encounter date (although 13 is probably wrong).

The Summarize tool takes the maximum within each customer group, so if 1 or more instances per customer are true the answer is true for that customer and I've take true as being an existing customer. Do you want this to be the other way round, i.e. true = NEW?

Once you've had a chance to work through the steps above, let me know where you think we're going wrong and we can fix it.

DavidP_0-1598518897067.png

Labels