Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fixing E+11 notation from CSV/Excel

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

Hi folks, I'm using csv files as my source, there is 40 of them.  when I process each file I have my bank account number showing values such as the figure below

George_Fischetti_0-1634145236918.png

At the source, this field is coming in as a V_WString, I then follow with a Data Cleaning tool and Select tool.  It looks like the format changes to V_String after the Select tool.

How would I fix this so that the entire account number is shown?

Thanks!  George

24 REPLIES 24
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @George_Fischetti 

Use ToNumber([Number]) formula like below.

atcodedog05_0-1634146092671.png

Hope this helps : )

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your help, worked perfectly!

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 I need to take this one step further, apparently I did not know that there were also alpha characters in this field, the test file I used probably didn't have this condition.   What function could I use to fix both of these situations??  Thanks!!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @George_Fischetti 

Its not clear. Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05     Sure....something like this, Alpha characters appearing anywhere in the account number.

George_Fischetti_0-1634211403487.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @George_Fischetti 

Can you provide expected output for the above.

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 The expected output is what I've shown above, the notation I'm seeing in the field with the xxxxxxxxxE+11 type format is showing up so that prevents me from seeing the entire account number.   

I want the field to end up being a string field that I can query against.   I'm trying not to go into each file and change the field type manually which I know would correct the issue. I'm also new to Alteryx and trying to solve with some functions to enhance learning.

Thanks!!!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @George_Fischetti 

Here is the updated workflow for the scenario.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1634213507124.png

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05  Something is still not right - see error messages.    My data coming in from the source is shown below.  The Input Data tool is brining this field in as Double.  I'm using a select tool to change the type to V_String which is generating the error messages shown.  When I use the formula you supplied I'm getting the Parse error; tried to apply a string operator to numeric value.   I think I've totally confused the situation.....

George_Fischetti_0-1634216199522.png

George_Fischetti_1-1634216253674.png

Labels