Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fixed decimal precission

slckkrky
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone

I have an excel input with 2 fields. These 2 fields has exactly same values however

value1 is in custom format ( _(* #,##0.00000000_);_(* (#,##0.00000000);_(* "-"??_);_(@_))

and Value 2 is in number format with 10 decimals.

I used Select tool to change format of both fields and used, 19.8, 19.9 and 19.10.

Strangely result deletes field values and brings null value for 19.10.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you in advance

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @slckkrky,

I am a bit confused myself to be honest. The reference states that it should allow a maximum precision of 50.

"The length (precision) of a fixed decimal is equal to the width of the integer (left side of decimal) plus the decimal point plus the width of the scale (right side of decimal). If a number is negative, the negative sign is also included in the length.

Alteryx defaults a Fixed Decimal to 19.6. The maximum precision is 50, inclusive of the decimal point and negative sign (if applicable)."

It sounds like a bug to me, but maybe someone else has an explanation for it.

Best

Alex

MOHAMMEDAFZAL
7 - Meteor

Hey @slckkrky 

I think i got the reason why 19.10 is giving Null results.

The number of characters in "" is 17 (including '-' and '.') and when you give the FD length 19.8 the total characters become 18 (as a '0' gets added at the end. Similarly when you give the FD length 19.9 the total characters become 19 (as two zeroes gets added at the end) which still satisfies the FD length condition. 

But when you give 19.10 then it breaches the total length as the number of characters become 20. Hence it results in Null. 

Try using 20.10 then it will work.

Hopefully this answers your query. 🙂

Find attached WF

Labels