Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Fixed Decimal issue

lbaker
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to set certain columns of my data to the fixed decimal type with the format 19.2. There should never be more than 19 integers to the left and I only need it to two decimal points.

For some reason, I am getting errors that the values are not valid for fixed decimal even though the are numbers. They were also formatted as numbers in the original input file. See the screenshot below for some of the examples.

lbaker_0-1675454366596.png

Any idea what is happening and how to fix?

5 REPLIES 5
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @lbaker 

You are trying to convert from VString to Fixed decimal value. 

The Vstring contains , as a special character.

Remove (using formula tool, replace function) the , from the Field and convert it.

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @lbaker 

Please find the expected output.

ShankerV_0-1675454817217.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@lbaker One way of doing this

binuacs_1-1675457999839.png

markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @lbaker 

This issue is because string value for the number contains non-numeric characters like the () and the commas.  

See the attached workflow on how to fix it.

Hope that helps

markcurry
12 - Quasar

Don't forgot to convert the value in brackets to negative, and looking at your error message you seem to have multiple values to convert, so you can do this easily with the Multi-Field formula.....

Labels