Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

First N Records - Where N is a variable dependent on an output

ktricker
5 - Atom

Hi, hoping you can help me with a problem I have.  I have a set of data, and I'd like to break that data into three segments. The segments are determined by number of records, and I have an output that determines how many records each segment should have.  For example, segment A should have the first 52 records, segment B should have the next 52 records, and segment C should have the last 53 records.  

I'm trying to automate this process, so I'd rather not use the sample tool and manually enter the number of records.  I'd like for it to break the data up into the right segments with the appropriate number of records according to the output which tells how many records each segment should have.  

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I used a fixed approach with 3 segments.  You can use an external file (e.g. Excel) to determine segment counts.   This process will apply the segment counts to the data and will create 3 output (CSV) files containing each of the appropriate segments.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.16.36 AM.png

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ktricker
5 - Atom

Awesome, thanks!

Labels