Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Finding common phrases from a field of text

boldiale
5 - Atom

Hi Community, 

I'm trying to identify a list of phrases from a field that is only text. See below for example data set.

ID

Response

Acid tests to determine pH level

Advertising opportunities to capitalize on market

Capital Expenditures to promote growth

Projections for upcoming year

Marketing tasks

Basically, I would like to take the "response" field above, and identify/match phrases from a running list of common phrases/words (ideally located in another file). For example, the running list would look like the below:

Common Phrases
Acid Test
Advertising
Capital Expenditure
Projection

Ideally, I would like to have my final output be as follows so that I can summarize and determine how many of the same phrase occurred in the dataset:

IDResponseIdentified Phrases/Words

Acid tests to determine pH levelAcid Test
2Advertising opportunities to capitalize on marketAdvertising
3Capital Expenditures to promote growthCapital Expenditure
4Projections for upcoming year

Projection

5Marketing Tasks

Null

I've tried several tools (i.e. find & replace, etc) but many seem to only work on exact matches and I need some level of non-exact matching to account for singular vs. plural words, etc. 

Let me know if you can help!

2 REPLIES 2
WillTravelForData
8 - Asteroid

This post may get you started join files by partial field similarities

AleksM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I know I'm very late to the party here, but did you every find a clever way to do this? 🙂 

Labels