Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Finding a list of names in a field that contains abbreviations of the name

casey893
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am trying to find a list of names in a field that contains a long description. Some of these names are abbreviated. 

i.e: Nordstroms could pop up as NRDSTRM 

How can I filter out these abbreviated list of names? 

Thank you!  

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @casey893 

Is abvreation always all caps?

casey893
7 - Meteor

No, it isn't

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @casey893 

Would you have a lookup table of Aberavtions?

casey893
7 - Meteor

No, I only a list of the full names and then I am trying to find them within this description. Let me send you what I have for my workflow so far. Right now, I am uploading the table with the field that has the full description. Then, I am trimming the description to return only the name part I am looking for. Then, I am matching the names with the specific list of names that I am looking for. 

I want to be able to scan the list for abbreviated names too. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @casey893 

From your screen shot, it looks like what you have will work depending on the configuration of your Find Replace tool.  It should  only tag the full names contained in your list. Do you want to try and match the abbreviations as well?  If so, look into the Fuzzy Match tool.  The basic technique is to use your approach to get all the exact matches and the use Fuzzy Match on the remainders.   Can you post a sample input and what you would like your output to look like.  

Dan

casey893
7 - Meteor

Hi Dan,

Thank you for that information. 

Example of the field in the table that I am pulling from:

Clothes

Shoes

Purse

Prse

Pants

Pnts