Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Finding Local R Installation

tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Hi,

I've been playing around with the R Tool a bit and am looking to create some more complex scripts. I'd like for my script to be able to access the local R installation on my computer, which contains all necessary installed packages, and I've got a few questions about using R with Alteryx in general.

1) Does my Alteryx Designer install have its own designated R installation, or does it look for an existing one on my computer?

2) Where can I find a setting to change the specified R installation?

3) Does Alteryx Designer use the standard package paths stored in my .Renviron file, or are packages for use in Alteryx stored somewhere else?

I haven't been able to find much information on configuring R itself for use with Alteryx Designer, so thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Alteryx creates it's own installation and it can be found in the program files of Alteryx, the path alludes me right now but it's easy to find.

By default when scripting in the R tool the packages you reference are also in the program files and a number come by default.

I don't think you can change the installation it is calling; it would be much easier to just change the working directory at the start of the script or specify the folder location in the library() call which you can do by adding a second parameter.

You can also just copy any existing libraries from your normal installation into the Alteryx program files, and installing packages is fairly easy too. You can just use the r.exe or install them from within the r tool itself.

Alteryx have also built an application which does this too.

Ben
tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Thanks!

This was exactly what I was looking for.

Labels