Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Finding Alteryx dataset name

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to get the Alteryx dataset onto a page of a self created report?  I'd like to have it somewhere on the page say "Source: Q1 2017 Alteryx dataset."   I've poked around and haven't come up with anything yet.  It would have to be dynamic so it wouldn't have to be changed with each dataset update. 

Thanks!

Brad

7 REPLIES 7
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

If your dataset is a local file, you can can use the Option "Output File Name as a Field" in your Input tool, and then incorporate that into your report.

If you would like to see an example, please provide a workflow that represents your situation.

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Well Joe, what I'm looking for is the datasets out of Allocate.  So I create a report of my own design (not using a canned report) and what to have on the sheet what the allocate dataset that was used to give the demographics.  How would I get that allocate dataset like Q1 2017 onto the report I've made?

Thank you,

Brad

LonnieY
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you use the Field Info or Allocate Metainfo Tools to join to the reporting stream?  They contain vintage information. See attached.

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

That's what I needed!  Get so used to going to certain tools that sometimes I forget about all the others.   Thank you for the help!

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

If I have two datasets in the list.  One showing for the first quarter and one showing for the second quarter.  How would I choose the most recent quarter?  Sort by descending gets them in the right order but if I then sample that list which may have more than one dataset in it I get only the number of records I put in to sample.  Not all the records with only the second quarter dataset I'd like...  any ideas?

Thank you,

Brad

LonnieY
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This might get you started. Use Text to Columns on the Dataset name, sort by quarter, use a tile tool to number the incidents of a quarter (newest to oldest) and take the X of each. Ok. Convoluted. Yes. 

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I care more that it works than how pretty it is written. This solution will help a lot. Thank you.  

Labels