Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find out which workflow (YXMD) created my YXDB file?

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi all, 

Since I have quite a large number of workflows running regular, sometimes, I might lose track of which workflows created which YXDB files.

I would like ask if, given a YXDB file, it is possible to find out the name/directory of the workflow created it?

One method I could think of is to output the name/directory of the current workflow as a new field in the YXDB files. But it is still not an ideal solution as I have to add this new column every time when I am exporting a YXDB file. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jasper

3 REPLIES 3
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

Hi Jasper

Here are some ideas:

1)  Embed a code in each YXDB file name that can be indexed back to the source workflow.

2)  Add an OUTPUT DATA tool to your workflow that appends to a log of  YXDB file creation events with the time, date, file name and workflow name.

3)  Place the workflow name or identifier in a user constant, use the FORMULA tool to add a column with the user constant as the value and then output the YXDB file with the constant as the suffix.  If you uncheck the box [Keep Field in Output] then the column is not in the output.

20180815_00001.png

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'd actually create a workflow to do this.

Workflow XML is relatively straight forward to parse and there is a small example of how you can input and work with workflow XML within the sample workflows.

Sample Workflows > Use Scripting and Automation Tools > Build a macro > Identify tools and macro's used in a workflow.

Someone else asked a very similar question recently and my colleague has built out a sample workflow solution to find all the input and output files given a directory with a series of workflows.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Read-Input-and-Output-of-flows/m-p/191...

You'd have to come up with some methodology to getting the workflow files from the Alteryx Server but that's definitely possible.

Ben

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi @derekbelyea and @BenMoss, thanks for the solutions!

I was actually hoping there are some sort of meta-data within the YXDB file for us to easily check which workflow created it. However, I believe this is not yet available in the latest Alteryx version. But the solutions proposed by you are nice too anyway. Thanks!

Jasper

Labels