Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find key words in two columns based on a common column

Number4
8 - Asteroid

Not finding anything specific to my question, already asked.

I have rows of data where one specific column (columm A) has dups (based on a join.)  However, there are two more columns per row that have descriptions (columns B and C.)

As an example, I have three rows, whereby column A is the same.  But for columns B and C, only one of the rows is a "match."  And by match, I mean they will share a common word(s).

I need to identify the one row out of the three, where columns B and C have the most matches of words.

ABC
1234How now brown cowWhere is the bathroom
1234How now brown cowBrown Cow
1234How now brown cowThe rain in Spain

Two match example

ABC
1234How now brown cowWhere is the bathroom
1234How now brown cowBrown Cow
1234How now brown cowBrown

I was trying to use the Fuzzy Match tool, but wasn't able to get the desired results.

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Example method of solving based on a split to rows on space and then count by word type approach. The logic may need to be tweaked depending on your data. Workflow is attached.

example.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Number4 ,

I've attached the fuzzy matching method. This will give you the percentage match score against words, and ranks the rows in matched order.

I hope that helps:

workflow.PNG

M.

Bulien

Labels