Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find dups and choose which to keep

JuBo28
5 - Atom

Hello -I have a file that has duplicate email addresses in it. I want to keep the one that has to highest $. In my example below, I'd like to identify and keep the first one while removing the second one from the output. There are also records that are not dups that I want in the output as well.
I've tried the Unique tool and, while it identifies the dups it doesn't help me to remove the ones I do not want. I also tried summarize and couldn't figure out how to configure it to get me to where I need to be. (Sorry for the terrible formatting - It's my first time posting and I kept getting an error that I had HTML in my post that had to be removed.)

Example:

CustomerName  Email                   Dollars
ABC                    cust@cust.com   $60
ABC                    cust@cust.com    $2
CDE                    pat@pat.com       $2

Output I want:

CustomerName  Email               Dollars
ABC                   julie@julie.com $60
CDE                    pat@pat.com $2

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @JuBo28 

Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1631119074790.png

1. Using formula tool to convert dollar to numeric value.

2. Using sort tool to sort name of ascending and dollar value on descending.

3. Using sample tool keeping only first row for name (highest dollar value row for name).

Hope this helps : )

Garabujo7
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @JuBo28 ,

How about this simpler approach:

Summarize and get the max value of dollars.

Garabujo7_0-1631119955314.png

Garabujo7_6-1631120033796.png

Garabujo7_7-1631120065775.png

Garabujo7_4-1631120021429.png

JuBo28
5 - Atom

Thank you for the quick reply @atcodedog05 ! This is what worked for my solution.

JuBo28
5 - Atom

Hi @Garabujo7  -- thank you for your quick reply. While I didn't use this is my solution, I appreciate you responding. There were many other columns in my actual workflow so I found it easier to use the first solution posted. Although, your solution did jar my creative juices to check something along my workflow to see how the joins, etc. changed my output.

Labels