Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find and replace to match Empty value to empty value

PrasadP
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

I have requirement to match a empty value from column A (Find data) and column B(replace data) and append column C(having value) using Find and Replace tool.

Example :

Input1:-

Column A

[Null]

Input2:-

Column B    Column C

2                    abc

[Null]              xyz

1                    def

3                    asd

Expected Result:-

Column A   Column B   Column C

1                  1                  def

2                  2                   abc   

[Null]          [Null]              xyz

3                 3                    asd

currently I am getting [Null] values in 'Column C' result for 'Null' to 'Null' value match using Find Replace. Is there a way that we can match Null values to get the above result(without Join (or) comibnation of Join and Filter tools)

Thanks,

Prasad

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @PrasadP I think the solution to this is easier than you think 😄

You could use a formula tool to simply replace NULL values in each of your data streams before the find and replace tool to something text based something like 'THISWASANULLVALUE'.

Then do the find an replace (Y)

Does that work for you.

Ben

carlosteixeira
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @PrasadP 

This is the solution propouse to @BenMoss, something like this...

I holpe this help you.

Best Regards

Carlos A Teixeira
PrasadP
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BenMoss  and @carlosteixeira 

Thanks for the solution.

I had filtered for Null values from both of the data sets and did a match for Null and Not Null values seperately as I am having a match criteria with single characters as well (Ex: N, V) which would get matched with the replace string mentioned below(THISWASANULLVALUE). 

Thanks,

Prasad

Labels