community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Find and replace - append fields where multiple found values

Atom

Apologies if this is the wrong forum - please let me know if i should ask this somewhere else.

I am using the Find and Replace tool to find records where specific IDs are referenced within a free text field.

However, an ID in my R-input can be a subset of another one ID e.g. one ID could be ABCD and another could be ABCD(2).

If the text in my F-input is "My ID is ABCD(2)", then it is true to say that the values "ABCD" and "ABCD(2)" could both be found in the text.

However, when i use the find and replace tool it SEEMS to consistently find the longer string.

That is actually what i want it to do but I would like to know if it will ALWAYS do that. I can't find any information on the logic of the tool so i don't know for sure. Would be grateful for advice.

Also, I would like to understand how it handles "multiple found values" when using the Append field option. When you use the "Replace found text with value" you can also select, "Replace Multiple founds..." and all found items will be replaced. With the "Append field..." option it only appends one replacement value. If 2 or more of the values to be found are in the string, which replace value does it choose to append?

I can attach some sample files if the above is not clear.

Alteryx Certified Partner

@LMJ-SFI 

by selecting last option in append configuration window,you can able to see the option "Allow all Apend".using this option you can get multiple append.hope you understand my answer.let me know if any confusion in this topic.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @LMJ-SFI,

If you wouldn't mind attaching a workflow with some sample files, that would be great!

Thanks!

Hoss Carroll
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
Atom

I am also looking to specifically understand the following:

...how it handles "multiple found values" when using the Append field option. When you use the "Replace found text with value" you can also select, "Replace Multiple founds..." and all found items will be replaced. With the "Append field..." option it only appends one replacement value. If 2 or more of the values to be found are in the string, which replace value does it choose to append?

My workflow has a file with many names of equipment, and I would like to look through a field of free text "comments" for mentions of *any and all* equipment. So if one comment contains 3 equipment names, I would like to have all 3 returned as an output. Does Find and Replace Tool allow for this?

If the above is unclear, or if a sample workflow would help, please let me know.

Thank you,

Labels