community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Find and replace all instances of a particular data string

Meteor

I'm trying to do an operation that it quite simple in excel but i can't seem to figure out how to do it in Alteryx with either the Find Replace tool or the Dynamic Replace tool. I simply want to change every instance in every cell across an entire excel file (searching every row and column) of a particular data string (i.e. "January") and change it (i.e. to "February").

much appreciate any help to figure this out, thanks.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @Rob48 

Dynamic Replace Tool certainly should be the way to go. You can set up a condition to replace values from all fields in your table.

See the example in the Tool Mastery article.

Cheers,

Meteor

the examples in that article did not match my issue and seemed unnecessarily complex, especially considering i was able to run a test with a simple FORMULA tool as below (with the column "Month" as my output column in the config box):

F [MONTH]="January"
THEN "February"
ELSE [MONTH] ENDIF

this changed all instances of "January" in the single column/field "Month" to "February".

now the problem I still have:

How to use this to change every instance of "January" in the entire file, every cell in every row and column/field to "February?

I hope i don't need to line up 25 FORMULA tools to change every column!

@Rob48 

In a simple scenario, you could also use Multi-Field Formula tool.

Make sure you select "All Types of" Fields and check the "All" box.

exx11.PNG

Cheers,

Pulsar

Hi @Rob48 

Another simple way to do it is to transpose the multiple columns into one column, then use Find Replace, and then crosstab back to the original format.

Please let me know if the attached workflow works for you.

Cheers!

Esther

Labels