Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find and Return Next Two Rows (Batch Macro?)

rjkim222
5 - Atom

Hello!

First time poster here. I have two datasets:

Dataset 1 - Server Listing:

Server Name
Server A
Server B
Server C
Server D

Dataset - 2Server Type and Version:

Generic Header

Server A

Server A Type
Server A Version
Additional unrelated records
Server A Version

Server B
Server B Type
Server B Version

Server D
Server D Type
Server D Version

Imagined Results:

Server NameTypeVersion
Server AServer A TypeServer A Version
Server BServer B TypeServer B Version
Server Cnullnull
Server DServer D TypeServer DVersion

I want each record (server name) from Dataset 1 to be searched against Dataset 2. If Server Name is found in Dataset 2, I'm wanting to return the server type and server version in the next two rows in Dataset 2 as two columns next to the Server Name in Dataset 1.

I've been looking at different batch macro examples as I think it would fit this scenario, but can't find any that would return the next two rows in a separate dataset. All records in Dataset 2 are in one column and there are additional records that do not need a return after the first two rows.

Thanks for any help or examples I can be pointed to for assistance!

6 REPLIES 6
mattnason1
9 - Comet

Here's how I would do it (although I didn't set up as a macro).

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @rjkim222 

No macro needed:

1. I used a multi-row formula to group the 2nd data set based on the empty row separating servers
  2. Removed the empty rows and used a tile tool to number each field, then filtered to the first 3 rows for each server
  3. Cross tabbed the data and joined to the server names
  4. Unioned any fall outs to get your desired presentation.

Luke_C_0-1647545705619.png

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Tweaked mine to get to output.  But looks like Luke made a nice solution too.

rjkim222
5 - Atom

Thanks for spending time on my question. I'm seeing this as the final result when running the workflow:

rjkim222_0-1647546634422.png

I'm seeing where you were going with this one. Matching Server Names first, and then designating 1=true for the type and version if there was a match. What gets lost in the final output is the matching server name and then having them return as columns for each matched record.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@rjkim222 I believe my solution above should get you there. Please check and let me know.

rjkim222
5 - Atom

Luke,

Thanks for taking your time for the write-up and the workflow. Got a couple useful things I can learn from this for future workflows in your expression and the use of the Tile Tool. Haven't seen that one used before.

Labels