Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find and Replace tool not returning correct value

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to append fields from cross reference file to data in my workflow and the Find and Replace tool is returning the incorrect value. My cross ref table contains multiple records of the same type but it is sorted so the most recent entry (the one I'm looking for) is the first value:

johneodell_0-1576179979455.png

I am getting "Moisture Farmer" where I want "Force ghost". Does the Find and Replace tool search from bottom to top? How exactly is it finding the data?

I have the "Entire Field" radio button selected and "Case Insensitive Find" checked.

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you have duplicate lookup values it is best to run it through a unique tool first. I believe that find and replace goes bottom to top, but you can avoid having to worry about that with a sort and unique to ensure that you are mapping with the values that you expect.

j_acon
9 - Comet

I never had a duplicated Key value in the R input, It appears to check every-row in the R for a match from top to bottom

Either, use the Summarize tool, and group by Name, and First by Occupation, before you run it against the Find a replace.

Or Sort the R Input by Descending Record ID

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, @BrandonB

I'll experiment with a combination of the Sort and Unique tools and see how that goes. Appreciate the answer!!

Labels