Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find & Replace

Karen_Smith
5 - Atom

Hi,

New Alteryx user here.

My main dataset is a trial balance with columns for "Type" and "Currency". Type is "B" for balance sheet accounts and "P" for income statement accounts. Currency is the local currency for the subsidiary (i.e. EUR, USD, CAD etc). 

I have a lookup table of foreign exchange rates for each currency with a column for the Spot rate and a column for the Average rate.

I would like to append ONE column to the main dataset for the exchange rate: If the Type is "B", use the spot rate, if the Type is "P", use the average rate. I'm not sure of the most efficient way to do this.

TypeAcAcctNameCurrency
B15115Italy Tax ReceivableUSD
B15197LIF Currency SuspenseUSD
B17601Goodwill Post Dec 2008USD

CurrencySpotAverage
BRL0.2549520.275355
CAD0.7350510.77158
CHF1.0106111.02444

Thank you in advance for suggestions and assistance.

4 REPLIES 4
zajaccount
9 - Comet

Hi

not sure if its the most efficient way, but you could filter by Type and then configure the find replace separately for each leg. After this, you union the two legs manually and then change the column name to "exchange".

Please find a sample workflow attached.

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Karen_Smith,

I'd suggest to rename your Spot and Average column to B and P. You could than transpose the data and apply them directly using the Join tool.

What do you think?

Best

Alex

Karen_Smith
5 - Atom

Thank you - that worked.

Karen_Smith
5 - Atom

I will try your idea also - it's good practice for me to try different ways to solve a problem. Thanks!

Labels