Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find & Replace across multiple fields simultaneously...

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

I want to replace "AND" with "&" across multiple text fields simultaneously.  How can I do this without resorting to multiple iterations of the F/R tool tool or a formula?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hellyars I would use the multi field tool you can select all the text fields and then use one replace formula for all those fields. Below is a mock setup that you would need.

Multifield.PNG

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@JosephSerpis How can I add a second or third expression, such as replace "Miscalaneous" with "MISC" and "Continue" with "Cont"?  I tried adding a second expression using the connector &&.  It did not work.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hellyars if you use this syntax in the Multi field tool with your selected fields this should work. IF Contains([_CurrentField_], "AND") THEN Replace([_CurrentField_], "AND", "&") ELSEIF Contains([_CurrentField_], "Miscalaneous") THEN Replace([_CurrentField_], "Miscalaneous", "Misc") ELSEIF Contains([_CurrentField_], "Continue") THEN Replace([_CurrentField_], "Miscalaneous", "Cont") ELSE [_CurrentField_] ENDIF

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@JosephSerpis  I was just trying that approach, but I had the parentheses messed up.  

Thanks.

Ncardenas
8 - Asteroid

Wow, this is a seriously awesome tool! I immediately thought of using multiple find/replace tools, but the multi-field tool was already there! I'm using a public dataset on car sales.

Ncajamarca_0-1636908210890.png

Labels