Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find a combination of three variables

Kaisa77
5 - Atom

Hi, I'm working on a workflow and my solution works, but it takes too long. I was hoping somebody would suggest a better approach. 

I have three lists of variable. The information in these lists could be duplicated. Each variable has a key assigned to it (also not unique). I also have a master dataset where I need to find all combinations of these variables only when their ID's match. 
I'm using append to create all combinations, but for just a third of actual data it takes me 15 minutes to run. 

For simplicity, in my example below I will only use two sets of variables
List one: ID    Variable1

1     A

1     B

2    B

List two: ID    Variable2

1     c

1    d        

2    e

In my dataset, where I have variables 1 and 2 as fields, I need to find the following combinations (I'll write ID's in the parentheses): 

Variable 1   Variable 2

(1) A                 (1) c

(1) A                 (1) d

(1) B                 (1) c

(1) B                 (1) d 

(2) B                 (2) e

I don't need a combination of A/e because their ID's never match. 

Like I said, I use append to get the combinations and then the filter tool to remove ones where ID's don't match, but got more than million combinations. 
What other tool/logic could help me?

3 REPLIES 3
JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Kaisa77 ,

I tried a Transpose + Join, but it wasn't faster than Append + Filter. See attached.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think what you want to do is join on ID,

wfwf

Kaisa77
5 - Atom

OF COURSE!

Thank you so much, Join by ID works just like Append did, but runs 5 times faster and no need to filter out unneeded combinations. 

Labels