Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find Wash-out sales for given set of transactions

sanket277
7 - Meteor

I have a requirement in which I want to compute if a 'Amount' for a particular 'Group' is washed out (nullified) or not. I tried to use tiles and joins to create a solution; but still not able to arrive at something robust. As an output, I basically would like to compute a 'Wash Sale?' column as shown in the attached spreadsheet with values like Yes/No.

Please refer the attached spreadsheet for an actual example. It would be great if someone could help me out. 

7 REPLIES 7
Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Hi @sanket277 

This is what I did using Multi Row formula tool, basically by checking rows above and below and comparing their amount. 

Please let me know if you have any question. 

arundhuti726_0-1609626087777.png

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hey @sanket277 

Generally its best to show what you've tried first, so we aren't heading down a path you've already ruled out (and its better for hands-on learning).

That being said, I would sort them by group, then do a Running Total (Transform Tools --> Running Total)  with the total grouped by the 'Group'.

After that, I'd drop in a Tile Tool, leaving them sorted by Group and set for uniqueness on Group (so you get a sequence number for each to determine first, last, total wash, periodic wash, etc). 

sanket277
7 - Meteor

Thanks @Tyro_abc! But, if you compare the result of the 'Multi Row formula' with the column 'Wash Sale?' in my dataset, they don't align for the Group 'MNO' with the amounts '40' & '-40' (Please see the attachment)

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

I got it, this is because cancellation did not happen right after the transaction. For this logic to work, cancellation has to be right after that transaction.  In this case, 2 positive transactions were followed by two negative transaction. Now, it could 3 followed by 3 or n positive followed by n negative transactions.  You might have some other fields like "reference transaction#" which needs to be used to group a pair of transaction.

Regards

Arundhuti

sanket277
7 - Meteor

Thanks @patrick_mcauliffe for the solution. I am sorry I'll remember to attach the workflow from the next time. I did however try to incorporate your suggestion and got the workflow working with few tweaks. Please find attached solution.

Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciate it! 🙂

sanket277
7 - Meteor

Thanks @Tyro_abc for the inputs. I changed the workflow as per the suggestions from by @patrick_mcauliffe and got it working.

Thanks a lot guys! Happy New Year! 🙂

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@sanket277 Awesome! 

Labels