Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find Nearest for all records... Not just within certain radius...

MonBrazier
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find the nearest University Campus for each student. And a lot of our students are further away than 100 kilometers, so the limiter on the Find Nearest tool is not great...

I want to find the nearest campus for any student, regardless of where they are. Is there a way to bi-pass that max distance limiter on the Find Nearest tool? Or is there another way I can do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Mon

4 REPLIES 4
The_Data_Loop
8 - Asteroid

You would use the distance tool to find the distance between schools and the student. Rather than using the find nearest, you would need to find that yourself after finding the distance.

From there it would be a simple process of associating the closest school to the student. 

Actually a pretty fun little project and there are many ways to accomplish this.  Let us know if you need further help.

MonBrazier
8 - Asteroid

Thanks very much :)

I used the distance tool like you suggested, then sorted the output by distance, and then summarised the output to grab the first record.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @MonBrazier,

I know this is resolved by using the create distance tool, but as an FYI, irrespective of what is in the dropdown you can type in whatever number you like in the box, and that can be any number (I just tested with a million and it holds).

Ben 

MonBrazier
8 - Asteroid

Wow, that's interesting :) Thanks!!

Labels