Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Find Key Word or Phrase Matches in Text Paragraph Field

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Key word and phrase matching.

I have a text field (think paragraphs). 

I want to identify matches against a list of key word and phrases.

The key word and phrases can themselves be grouped by Market (Anmials, Cooling...)

The text field may contain no, one, or multiple key word and phrases.  

Real world includes 4,000 records with paragraph or multiple paragraphs of text in each record to be searched.  So, I would prefer not to split each record into multiple single world rows etc.

I want to find all the matches and markets for each text record.

hellyars_0-1656170063470.png

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

How does this look @hellyars? Went for a batch macro approach which will process the records one key word at a time, checking each row for at least one presence and then counting the number of matches across them all. Outside the macro it then joins the key word back to the market and shows the overall total:

DataNath_0-1656173139296.pngDataNath_1-1656173162002.png

EDIT: Just reread the bottom line of your requirement. If you don't want to aggregate you can just remove the summarise and keep on top of which records are which with an ID which then gets sorted at the end (also filters out 0 matches):

DataNath_0-1656173840233.png

DataNath_1-1656173858484.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@DataNathLooking good.  I like that you added the word boundary to include only whole words and phrases.  I'm going to try and fit this into the real world workflow. 

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@DataNath  This works.  So SOLVED.  I might have a new related question related to the real world application looking at multiple text fields.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Awesome, glad to hear it worked for you @hellyars! No problem, just let me know if you'd like me to look at tweaks etc.

Labels