Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering with Macro data differs from Regular Filter

Julcas
7 - Meteor

Hello everybody,

I am trying to run a workflow where I can filter by "Replanned PA." However, as the title states, when I try to run the workflow as an Analytic App, the filter doesn't work and returns 0 records. If I manually update the filter (not using an Analytic App) it returns the correct data. 

I tried adding a formula before the filter that receives a macro input; however I just kept getting an error "Formula 161. Unknown char(0) Replanned PA."

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Alteryx help1.PNGAlteryx help2.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Julcas you are nearly there you need to update the action to highlight this particular value you want to change in your filter. In my example I replaced the empty space in the filer with the word test. When you run it as an analytical it app it will be replaced with your dropdown value.

Interface070819.JPG

Julcas
7 - Meteor

@JosephSerpis 

I made the suggested changes and still get 0 records. I'm using Alteryx version 2018.3 (and can't update it) so I can't open your edited workflow. Could this be the reason it's not working?

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Julcas if you open up an alteryx workflow or app in notepad you can change the version as like below.XML.JPG

However when testing your workflow the action produces this output which you need to do some additional cleaning if you want to use it in the filter. So made a few changes in order for the user inputs to correctly affect the filter. Text Input.JPG

I've attached the updated macro using 2018.2 so you should be able to open with no issue. However please let me know if you need any more help.

Julcas
7 - Meteor

Hi @JosephSerpis,

I ran the workflow; however, the file doesn't seem to filter by the inputed value. The output is only records that match the values "PA 2.3", "PA 3.1", "PA 3.2", "PA 3.3", and "PA 3.4". 

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

How can I just filter it by the selected PA?

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Julcas Try this version updated a few things. Let me know if there any more issues?

fharper
12 - Quasar

@Julcas  & @JosephSerpis ...Something you should Note about Apps and interface tools....When you run a flow manually the optimizer will set order of execution differently than when run as App.  Interface tools ALWAYS run first.  You are feeding your interface a list from a connection that is a result of upstream tools processing data.  As a result when run as App you are seeing the meta data values of the prior run.  So once you get the selection right and make it work once...next time if the data in the pipe changes you will be looking at the previous runs list to select from.  

If the options for the interface tool are expected to be dynamic then break the App into 2.  the first runs some of the original flow to get the info for the Interface tool and can save the rest to a temp file to pass on the the next app.  use App Chaining to auto fire the next app which finishes up.  change the list box tool to get List Values from External Source and enter the filename that you wrote the list to in the first App.  

When you run the first App it seemlessly fires the chained app when done and the next interface pops open on que

Labels