Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering using existing columns

JayP
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am new to Alteryx and I am trying to filter using values in the spreadsheet itself.

For example say I have column a and column b, I would like to create an expression that checks whether the field in row 1 column b exists in any of the rows in column A. Is the filter tool the best way to go about this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Inactive User
Not applicable

[Column B]=[Column A]

If the value in B matches A, the record will go to True. If the value does not match, it will go to False.

JayP
5 - Atom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would only check the record against itself.

I would like to check one record of column b to all the records to column a.

Example)

Column A       Column B

1                             4

2                             6

The conditional should give true for 4 since it exist in column A. It should give False for 6 since it does not exist in column A. Thanks again for your help, hope I cleared my question up.

mborriero
11 - Bolide

Hi @JayP, what would it be your prefer output? see if the attach file fit your needs.Capture.JPG

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Jay_dup_148

This is very doable:

- split your flow into 2 - one takes everything (the one going downwards in the screenshot) and the one going straight

- The top one you want to get the unique list of items in column B and it strips out the column A.   Reason for this is that you can use this as a filter

- The bottom one then meets with this in a join - you join Column A from the full data with the unique set of Column B values - and then throw away anything where there's a match (if you want to filter - if you want to keep the matches, then take the J channel instead of the R channel from the join).

Screenshot and workflow below.

2017-08-06_14-18-42.png

Labels