Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering subsets of a dataset to different sheets

Delimitless
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I work in Quality Assurance/Data Integrity - I am seeking to build a workflow that will filter out subsets of a population (data set from a system database) and output them to different sheets of the same excel file.  The stratification is based on a primary key (v_string) in the dataset.  Does anyone have any ideas on what functions I can use to accomplish this?  

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Delimitless 

Have you already checked the Interactive Lessons and Live Training sessions?

They are a valuable resource to begin.

To write to the same Excel File and multiple sheets in the same workflow, you can use the Block Until Done tool or change the sheet name with a field using this option:

sheetname.PNG

I strongly recommend you to search for community resources before starting your workflows. There's a lot of useful content, entirely free, to learn from.

Cheers, 

Delimitless
5 - Atom

@ThableausI am familiar with the Block Unit Done tool and how to create an output to different tabs on the same excel file.  

My issue  is writing a function to filter for my multiple items and send them to different tabs.  Right now the workflow I have built is a chain of Simple Filter functions it works but is just messy. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Delimitless 

Instead of filtering to get multiple streams, you can add a Formula Tool that populates an Excel sheet name field.  You can then use @Thableaus excellent suggestion of "Take file/Table name from field"

Dan

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Delimitless 

Oh, good to know you're already there.

A single Filter won't achieve the task you want.

I have a different idea - you could use a table to append sheet labels to every piece of your dataset and write them to an Excel Output.

Something like this:

5_step - Copy.PNG1_Step - Copy.PNG2_step - Copy.PNG3_step - Copy.PNG4_step - Copy.PNG

That, of course, depends on how complex your Filter rules are.

If there are other conditions, you could use the Formula Tool to create the tab fields as well.

Please post a sample of your data and I'd be glad to help.

Cheers,

Delimitless
5 - Atom

@Thableaus

Thank you this solution works!

Labels