Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering selected (and dynamic) rows that contain null values - except one

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I would like to be able to retain the original RecordID of all items from my input but also delete (or filter) all null rows, including consideration of columns that may not be included currently.

For example - In illustration 1 I have an input where rows 5 and 7 are Null. I would like to filter (or retain) only rows that are non-null. I can do this using a filter easily. But in my workflow the inputs are dynamic and the columns headers are not always consistent. Therefore, I would like to retain the RecordID but filter out or delete any rows that are null (not considering the RecordID column). See Illustration 2 for wanted results

Has anyone come across a solution to this? Thanks in advance! 

Illustration 1

datauser4234_1-1656611022950.png

Illustration 2

datauser4234_0-1656611663045.png

13 REPLIES 13
Muhai
7 - Meteor

Hi @datauser4234,

You may use transpose and crosstab as solution.

Muhai_0-1656612058658.png

Hope this works.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @datauser4234,

To apply filtering to a dynamic number of columns, transpose is usually the way:

IraWatt_0-1656612097515.png

I think this workflow achieves what you want.

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

Thanks, this worked great!!!

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

I just noticed that once it Cross tabs, it adds an underscore to any field names that had spaces. For example, if you had labeled the "Revenue" field as "Revenue ID" it would have renamed it to "Revenue_ID" after the cross tab. Is there anyway to retain the original naming convention?

datauser4234_0-1656613854262.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @datauser4234,

you can use the dynamic rename tool to replace the _ with spaces:

IraWatt_0-1656614532292.png

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

This works great but if there is an instance that someone enters titles with underscores originally and then the dynamic rename tool would not work appropriately in that instance. Any ideas for that scenario? 

Sorry for throwing more questions out!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ah that is a good question. For that I would use this workflow:

IraWatt_0-1656615511527.png

The sample takes the headers at the beginning. Then union on position at the end which gives the original headers

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

The issue that comes up when going this route is that the input files are going to be dynamic and it's uncertain which ones might be null columns (if any). Another issue that came up was that the ordering came out different. I was trying to incorporate the "Field Info" tool and rename it by parsing out the details from the Source field but am having some trouble with it. Any other suggestions in these instances?

Thank you again for your input!!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@datauser4234 that should be easy enough just select the common subset option in the union here:

IraWatt_0-1656616538798.png

Any dropped columns wont come through. 

Labels