Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering or Matching Based Similar Age

bryan_ram2613
8 - Asteroid

Hey community,

This is a tough one to convey but here we go. I have joined a customer file with the Experian data sets. I am trying to get the most accurate matches on the individual file. Right now I want to use age as a filtering field. The issue that I am running into is that the ages are sometimes 1 or 2 years off.  Right now any regex matching I am doing is filtering out the customers that are 1 or 2 years off even though they are the correct person. 

My thinking is that I would love a formula that I can filter on records that are within a three year window. For example if one persons customer file age is 25 and Experian file is 26 I would still want that person to move forward in my data cleansing. 

Thanks in advance and I will be able to provide more detail if needed. 

2 REPLIES 2
sumitiiest
8 - Asteroid

Hi @bryan_ram2613 ,

Can you please share your sample workflow and inputs, it will give more clarity about your requirements.

Thanks,

Sumit

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @bryan_ram2613 

I don't think you can perform mathematical operations in Regex, but you can use a 2-step process similar to this

WF.png

Join first on name and age to pull out the exact matches.  Take the unmatched records and join on Name only and use a formula to find the records where the age is within your threshold.

Results.png

You can replace the Joins with Regex, Find Replace, Fuzzy match to determine similar names depending on your requirements

Dan

Labels