Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering on a geographic range

nordmaeo
7 - Meteor

I have never worked with geographic data before.

I need to filter on a geographic radius of 80 miles. I have address data, but no latitudinal or longitudinal data. 

Two questions:

1) How to I create the 80 mile radius to filter on?

2) Is it possible to use the address data to select the locations I want to pass through the filter (i.e the points that fall within the radius)?

Thanks in advance! 

1 REPLY 1
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @nordmaeo 

The first important step to take is called "Geocoding". This is the process that takes address information and coverts it to spatial information AKA latitude/longitude values. Once you have the latitude/longitude values, you can start using the spatial tools to create a spatial object (centroid) from those numeric coordinates (Create Points tool), draw an 80-mile ring around that centroid (Trade Area tool), and finally determine what other points fall within that radius (Spatial Match tool).

Let's talk about geocoding first. Anyone can go on Google Maps, enter the address and get a lat/long value, but programmatic geocoding is typically a paid service. Alteryx offer a Geocoding tool as a part of the (paid) spatial data package. There are also Alteryx tools that can use the Google Maps API, but it requires a Google Deverloper API key (paid). If you only have a few records, you could do them by hand and move onto the spatial parts.

EDIT: Geocoding aside, I've put together an example workflow to show how the rest of the workflow could work. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Labels