Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering in Input Tool

Skylar
5 - Atom

(Couldn't find a post on this, but I apologize if there is already one out there.)

To speed up my queries, I have been trying to filter my data earlier in my workflows by...

• Selecting the fields I need in the "Input Data" tool instead of the "Select" tool
  • Adding simple WHERE clauses in the "SQL Editor" interface in the "Input Data" tool

The WHERE clauses in particular really seem to help, so I have been trying to use more of them, but I have noticed that they do not seem to work when I am specifying rows with a string instead of a number: 

Works.PNGDoesnt Work.PNG

Does anyone know why that is, or how I can troubleshoot this error?

2 REPLIES 2
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Skylar

Can you try single-quotes around the string?  Depending on the database, that might help.

- John

Skylar
5 - Atom

Should have thought of that--that worked! 

That is going to be a huge time saver for us and should take a considerable load off of the database. It stores all transactions in the same table, so being able to filter within the "Input Data" tool will be a big help.

Thanks!

Labels