Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering by the appearance in rows

ievpal
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am trying to filter only those customers, who first bought A product or first brought B product and secondly bought A product to see what else they have brought after buying  A.

This is a sample of data I have:

Sample data.jpg

Required result should look like this:

Sample result.jpg

Could this be done in Alteryx?

6 REPLIES 6
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Just to make sure I understand.

For each customer, you want to keep the records of when they bought product A plus the purchase before and after product A.

If this is the case then yes do-able within Alteryx using a MutliRow formula. An expression like:

'A' IN ([Row-1:Product_ID], [Product_ID], [Row+1:Product_ID])

grouped by Customer_ID should do what you need.

Sample attached

ievpal
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Not exactly.

What I`am interested to see is:

If a customers first purchase was A product or he bought A product after firstly buying B product then I want to see his whole purchases history.

If a customer bought C product first I am not interested in him.

In my real data set I have 5 products, so if the customers first purchase was D or E I am not interested in those either.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

OK. Have updated sample to do this.

First I add a customer purchase id which tracks the first purchase (or second if first = 'B') within a customer (Multi Row Formula, over 2 rows):

IIF(ISNULL([Row-1:CustomerPurchaseID]),
    [Product_ID],
    IIF(ISNULL([Row-2:CustomerPurchaseID]) AND [Row-1:CustomerPurchaseID] = 'B', [Product_ID], [Row-1:CustomerPurchaseID])
)

Then filter this where result is A 

Then pick the unique customer ids

Finally join back to input stream to just keep those customers

Updated sample attached

ievpal
7 - Meteor

The problem is it doesn`t give the right result...  :/

It still gives me the ab3 client, which first product was C. (This client should be ommited, because his first purchased product wasn`t A or B and the second A.) 

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Odd definitely filters that on mine:

2016-11-08_14-32-44.png

Have attached it again in case I attached wrong version!

ievpal
7 - Meteor

It works now. Thank you so much!!! :)

Labels