Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering by column header names??

ydogan1989
5 - Atom
Hey guys,

To set the scenario, I have a list (column) of product codes, and around 200 column headers of customer names. The values consist of how many of those products each customer has.

I want to filter my view of the columns by referring to another document that lists characteristics for each customer, i.e. the sales person in charge of them. Ideally, I want to refer to these and filter columns for i.e. Sam Jones.

Is there a way to do this without having to transpose all of my column headers into rows, appending the owner names and filtering that way?

Thanks in advance!
1 REPLY 1
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar
Hi,

I would use the Dynamic Rename (DR) tool.
  • Input your document with the characteristics for each customer (TableX)
  • Create a new field with, for example, the salesperson name as a prefix to the existing field name.
  • Connect your database to the left input of the DR tool
  • Connect TableX to the right input of the DR tool
    • Select "Take Field Names From Right Input Rows" as the Rename Mode
    • Set the Old Field Name From Column to the original field name in TableX
    • Set the New Field Name From Column to the new field with the salesperson prefix
  • Use Dynamic Select to get every field prefixed with "Sam Jones"
  • To rename back to the original names, use DR again but reverse the Old and New fields
Have fun.

Labels