Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering a single column using multiple criteria

LWHITTAKER001
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All, 

I have a column with multiple account names and I am trying to filter it to contain only account names that are book/tax differences. Rather than using the filter tool to do a custom filter with the exact account name, I was hoping to cut down the formula to somehow do a contains function. 

For example, there are accounts such as "brokerage interest non-taxable", "investment interest non-taxable", "non-deductible expenses", and "unrealized gain/loss" so rather than doing the account names, I want the filter criteria to be "non-taxable", "unrealized", and "non-deductible". What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Use the Custom Filter option on a Filter tool with a formula that looks like this:

IF
contains([AccountName],"non-taxable")
OR contains([AccountName],"unrealized")
OR contains([AccountName],"non-deductible")
THEN 'true'
ELSE 'false' ENDIF

LWHITTAKER001
6 - Meteoroid

That worked - thanks so much!

Olushka
5 - Atom

Could you please help to solve the problem with filtering. I need to chose multiple criteria together (in one time) in one column. But it is not worked.

Example 1 is below

Contains([Population type], "Refugees") AND
Contains([Population type],"Population, total") 

Or Example 2:

Contains([Countries], "USA") AND

Contains([Countries],"Germany") AND

Contains([Countries], "Japan") AND

Contains([Countries], "China") AND

Could you please advise what is the problem

nitinsrivastava
5 - Atom

Try below formula : 

[Countries] IN ("USA", "GERMANY")

TL_123
5 - Atom

I think your connector is wrong - try to swap AND for OR.

Labels