Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering Out A BLOB Causes an Error

stapuff
9 - Comet

I created a workflow that passes a database table name through a text input, dynamic input to modify the sql, return 1 record and process it to get the field names, data types, etc and marries it up to a data dictionary table for system descriptions. A quick painless process.

All was good until I ran into tables that have a BLOB as a data type.

Workflow started failing. Did a little investigation and found those BLOBs were not needed to go through the process so I thought adding a simple filter would do the trick.  Everything I tried failed to filter.... and an error would appear that BLOBs can not be filtered.

The temp remedy  - I had to add a select, find the field, and deselect it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Puff 

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @stapuff 

Depending on the flavour of SQL that your running your queries against, have you considered querying the  "INFORMATION_SCHEMA" tables (T-QSL) or "all_tables" and "all_tab_columns" (Oracle) or the equivalent.  These return text information about the tables and columns so you won't have any blob issues 

Dan 

stapuff
9 - Comet

@danilang 

I got up at 2 a.m. with that exact idea. Remove it using the Table Schema. Been doing it in Excel with VBA for what seems like a 100 years now against a different system.  Moved from AS400 to SAP and it was like I had amnesia for the last 20 years.

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate it and your time.

Puff

APIUserOpsGiri
7 - Meteor

Can you share any example workflows? I'm stuck on the same issue with blob!

Labels