Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering Data

stewartlewis
5 - Atom

Hello,

New to Alteryx here. 

I am trying to filter out by State. In my particular case, i am trying to separate 5 Mexican states from the rest of the states.

Jalisco, Tamaulipas, Ciudad de Mexico, Estado de Mexico, and San Luis Potosi

I have tried basic filters and custom filters. The basic filter with commas did nothing and the custom filters keep giving me errors.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

[State]='Jalisco' OR [State]='Tamaulipas' OR [State]='Ciudad de Mexico' OR [State]='Estado de Mexico' OR [State]='San Luis Potosi'

Hi @stewartlewis , would the above condition in a filter tool get you what you're looking for?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Perhaps you can use a custom filter statement such as

[state] IN ("Jalisco", "Tamaulipas", "Ciudad de Mexico", "Estado de Mexico", "San Luis Potosi")

also check in some of your states have leading or trailing white space

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @stewartlewis, setup your custom filter logic using something like the following string:

[STATE] IN ('Jalisco', 'Tamaulipas', 'Ciudad de Mexico', 'Estado de Mexico', 'San Luis Potosi')

Let us know if you still get an error.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stewartlewis ,

you can use also the custom filter as below.

State in ('Jalisco', 'Tamaulipas', 'Ciudad de Mexico', 'Estado de Mexico', 'San Luis Potosi')

Best,

Fernando V.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stewartlewis ,

Use a filter tool and use the following formula (Letters for simplicity):

[State] IN ("A","B","C")

mceleavey_0-1586362806887.png

The "T" or "True" output will have the states you want, the others will be in the "F" or "False" output.

M.

Bulien

stewartlewis
5 - Atom

It looks like that is going to work. I was forgetting the apostrophes (not sure if there is another term used). I will run it with that formula and see what I get back. Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Labels