Now that it's live, don't forget to accept your certification badge on Credly today! Learn more here.
We are currently experiencing an issue with Email verification at this time and working towards a solution. Should you encounter this issue, please click on the "Send Verification Button" a second time and the request should go through. If the issue still persists for you, please email support@alteryx.com for assistance.

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
SOLVED

Filtering Common String

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have a records and I would like to filter by common strings. I would like to filter for example all EDOCS_UPLD_09242021 then all EDOCS_UPLD_09252021 and so forth. You may notice that it contains  a date so it always change per work job. I just to need to group it by common name and proceed to another filter under each grouping. See screenshot below.

marlontalisvistar_0-1633625607384.png

Thanks

Marlon

20 REPLIES 20
mceleavey
16 - Nebula

Hi @marlontalisvistar ,

what do you mean filter?

Do you mean process EDOCS_UPLD_09242021 then EDOCS_UPLD_09252021 etc.?

If so, you need a batch macro using that field (summarised) as the control parameter.

M.

ellen-wiegand
Alteryx
Alteryx

A batch macro would be the best bet, but you could also create output files based on field names, and then feed those into another workflow

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Filter means I have to group or filter all EDOCS_UPLD_09252021 (Please note of the date it contained - 09252021) and another group for EDOCS_UPLD_09262021 ... 09272021 and so forth. I am not sure if the formula tool or any tool can do this. I do hope you can provide me an answer on how I am going to do it with sample workflow.

Thanks,

Marlon

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar hi, refer below screen-prints and let us know if below steps of workflow will address your requirement.

1 - Col2 with date and doc name grouped (in grouping of 5 multiples as an example) as string value (Input value)

pdave87_1-1633669363526.png

2 - Output filtered (to specific date) as per your requirement

pdave87_2-1633669405529.png

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi @pdave87 

I think this is what I am looking for. May I ask if you could share with me the workflow so I can also check the parameters inside.

marlontalisvistar_0-1633693787700.png

Thanks,

Marlon

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar sure, attached herewith.

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi @pdave87 

I tried the workflow you shared however I noticed that the records also multiplied by 5. 

marlontalisvistar_0-1633702384811.png

The goal is to filter or group the EDOCS_UPLD by its designated date. I need for example all EDOCS_UPLD_09252021, then another filter for EDOCS_UPLD_09262021 etc. The reason is that after I filtered those EDOCS_UPLD_Date, I need to filter it by Document Type per date.

I'm not quite sure if filter can do it or maybe a formula tool. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marlon

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar hi, it was suppose to multiple by 5 because I have to create extra rows for Col2 as 'dummy' value for our test case. Sorry I didn't mention changes you will require to apply logic in production use case.

Try attached copy with revised connections. I have removed addition row (Generate Row Tool) from connection with an annotation - Don't use. Replace input file with your production copy.

pdave87_1-1633706215219.png

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

HI @pdave87 

I don't have COL1 column in my file. Can we automate it in the file I am using? What happens is that we just separate the EDOCS_UPLD+date. I'm looking how I can filter it out but still can't find the solution. please see below results.

marlontalisvistar_0-1633708125073.png

Thanks,

Marlon

Labels